This is another option for a Taco Night filling. You can use it in your homemade tortilla shells or I personally enjoy it on my romaine lettuce boats. It is a meal you leave feeling satisfied but not stuffed. It is such a light simple meal that the whole family will enjoy. Mine does!
You being by heating the olive oil in a large pan to sauté the onion.
After the onion is translucent, you will add in your garlic. You can finely mince it, but I like to use my garlic press. I feel like it breaks it even finer and the flavor is stronger.
Next, you place the tilapia fillets on the skillet. It is about 2-3 minutes per side. Once you lay them down don’t move them until you flip. You will know when they are done when the fish starts to flake. I buy frozen tilapia fillets, so make sure you thaw them the night before.
Mix in your tomatoes, cilantro (if using), lime juice and green chilies. Sauté over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes. While you are sautéing the mixture, use your spoon to break up the fish so it all mixes well. Season with salt and pepper to your liking.
We love to make our own homemade tortillas. My husband is the master at it! Check out the tortilla maker we have below that we got from Amazon.
Serve this in your tortillas, or in romaine lettuce boats with some avocado slices if you have it on hand. Enjoy!
- 1 pound tilapia fillets
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 can green chilies (or 2 jalapeño peppers, chopped)
- 16 oz diced tomatoes, drained (or 2 cups regular dice tomatoes)
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pan.
- Saute onion until translucent, then add in the garlic. Mix it well.
- Place your tilapia fillets on the pan. Leave them to cook for about 2-3 minutes each side. Do not move them around once you put them on. You will know they are cooked when they start to flake.
- Add in your green chilies, tomatoes, cilantro and lime juice. Sauté over medium-high heat for around 5 minutes. Break up the fish with the spoon and mix it well. Season with salt and pepper to your liking.
- Serve in your homemade flour tortillas or in romaine lettuce boats with avocado slices on top. So yummy!
Here is the awesome electric tortilla maker we use weekly to make our amazing homemade tortilla shells!!